Wednesday, January 16, 2013

And we're off!

Last Monday the renovation works on our new house started! We are really excited that the plans we made (well, mostly Dirk because I have been swamped at work) over the last couple of weeks are going to be executed at last.

It has been a while since our last renovation project, our apartment in Amsterdam, but I can still remember that while making plans is a lot of fun, it really starts with the first blow of the sledgehammer.

In Amsterdam we did a lot of the work ourselves, but with two kids and two full time jobs, there is not much time left in the day, so we have contracted out 95% of the work.

Over the last several weeks Dirk has been a real pro: planning, sketching, drawing in AutoCad, talking to several builders, roofers and window makers. All this in the evenings after the kids were in bed and during the weekends. And now, finally, over the next few weeks it will all become reality.


I have unfortunately not contributed in any substantial way to this. Not because of choice, but because work currently does not allow it. I have though been made in charge of the painting and colour choices (how typical...), and I offered lots of commentary and well intended advise ;-)

Here is a list of the big ticket items that will be done over the next couple of weeks:
-          New roof on rear extension
-          New roof on front porch
-          Remodeling of two bathrooms (we have three)
-          Removal of one wall and the build in of closet space (to compensate for the lack of a US size walk-in)
-          Tiling of ground floor hallway
-          Installing wooden floors throughout the house
-          New windows

The rest will have to wait till later (read - build up of savings...)

Here's a first impression of the demolition phase :-). More to follow!