Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving

We celebrated Thanksgiving this Saturday. We want to keep some traditions we picked-up in Houston, especially because our two girls do have a US citizenship as well.

So we invited our neighbors and some colleagues from work (some of which are American) on Saturday afternoon.

Dirk and I had been cooking since Friday evening and the traditional dishes were all there: pecan pie, green bean casserole, sweet potato mash, creamed spinach and cranberry sauce. I could not find any corn syrup or shortening for the pie (apparently only in America), but was able to find substitutes like liquid glucose and vetgetable fat! The result was the best pie so far :-)


This year we did not have Eelco to take care of the turkey, so the challenge was all ours. I found a good Jamie Oliver recipe and off we went. We had a 6kg turkey from the butcher (we had 9 adults, so you never know).


After preparing it for the marathon oven session it looked like this (pretty nice if I may say so)


But unfortunately I overstuffed... so the skin on the breasts broke. It was still a good, juicy turkey though, just not picture perfect. Everyone liked the food, and we had a very nice evening. By ten everyone had left (mind you a decent 6 hours of entertaining!), and we were lying exhausted on the couch.

Definitely again next year, god willing.